5.03.2011

Just a thought...


May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. 1 Samuel 24:12

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; or the LORD will see it and be displeased, and turn His anger away from him. Proverbs 24:17-18


For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; it is he who will save us. Isaiah 33:22

But you, LORD Almighty, who judge righteously and test the heart and mind, let me see your vengeance on them, for to you I have committed my cause. Jeremiah 11:20

Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is MINE, I will repay," says the Lord. Romans 12:19

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God. 1 Corinthians 4:5

You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:38-48

---

The Lord is judge, not us. Period. Revenge is not ours to seek out. Judgement belongs to God. I have a hard time dishing out comments like "He got what he deserved" when I think about the fact that I too am a sinner and deserve death just as much as Bin Laden. Romans says that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. 

I cannot justify the things Bin Laden did. (Just like I can't justify the things I have done.) And I am not diminishing the pain he has caused so many. (I cannot justify the pain I have caused either.) His sin does not make it ok for us to be jumping around and dancing in the streets, ecstatic because he died. Was Osama Bin Laden not made wonderfully and fearfully (Psalm 139) and in the image of God (Genesis 1:27) just like you and I? Did Christ not die for all people, including Bin Laden?

I believe that the Lord grieves with the families of those whose lives have been taken directly and indirectly by Bin Laden and the lives of soldiers who have given their lives to defend our country in the decade since the 9/11 attacks.

I also believe that he grieves the loss of a son that he does not get to spend eternity with.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Many of my Christian friends see no issue with rejoicing at the news of Bin Laden's demise. From what I understand, this attitude is contradictory to that which Jesus beseeched Christians to strive for in the New Testament.

    -Stacey Thompson

    ReplyDelete